Academic Policies


The degrees conferred upon completion of the approved programs of study within the University are: Master of Arts (Catechetics and Evangelization, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Philosophy, Theology and Christian Ministry), Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Education, Master of Science in Educational Administration, and Master of Science in Nursing.

Registration Procedures

A student must register during the days prescribed in the calendar.

All changes after registration must be approved by the student’s advisor and the instructors involved. Necessary forms must be filed with the Registrar’s Office. Otherwise, a grade of “F” will be given for courses not dropped appropriately.

No student is allowed to enter a course after the add/drop period at the beginning of the semester.

A student has complied with the registration requirements when he/she has had a schedule of registration approved by the faculty advisor, has completed the forms provided by the Registrar, and has paid the required charges.

No student can receive credit for any subject taken in a class for which he/ she has not been duly registered by the proper officials.

Course Schedule

Franciscan University of Steubenville reserves the right to make changes in the schedule or to withdraw courses if enrollment does not meet the minimum required. Withdrawals and refunds are governed by the University guidelines.

Refund Policy

A student withdrawing from classes or resident status at Franciscan University of Steubenville must complete an official withdrawal form. This form, available at the Enrollment Services Counter in Star- vaggi Hall, must be dated, and bear the signature of the student and all required officials. The official date of withdrawal will be the date the completed form is stamped “received” at the Enrollment Services Counter. Students who do not officially withdraw and those who are dismissed or suspended for disciplinary reasons are not entitled to a credit refund.

  • When a student officially withdraws, the University will retain 1/15th per week (or portion of any week) of the total tuition, fees, room, and board for the period enrolled. There will be no credit or refund of any charges after the ninth week of the semester.
  • When a student drops a course or changes from full-time to part-time status, the University will retain 1/15th per week (or any portion of any week) of the total charge for the course dropped, or 1/15th per week of the difference between the full-time and part-time charge for the period enrolled through the eighth week of the semester. No credit or refund of charges will be issued after the ninth week of the semester.

Housing contracts are applicable to the entire academic year and may not be canceled without the written consent of the Student Life Office. Please refer to the Housing Contract and the Residency Policy in the Student Life Handbook for additional details.

Refunds will normally be paid within thirty (30) days of registration, after all withdrawal credits are applied and affected financial aid has been adjusted according to the formula described in the University Catalog under Financial Aid. Deposits are not refundable.

Refunds from straight cash overpayments, where no financial aid is involved, will normally be paid approximately ten (10) days after scheduled day of registration.


A student may withdraw from a course until the withdrawal date published. No authorization will be given for withdrawal after this date. A withdrawal is not official until the withdrawal form is received in the Office of the Registrar. The withdrawal form must be signed by the Instructor and the Faculty Advisor or Program Director before it is accepted by the Registrar.

If a student officially withdraws from a course, a grade of “W” is submitted by the Instructor at the conclusion of the semester: There are no quality points associated with the “W” grade. A grade of “F” will be recorded for students who do not attend classes and who do not withdraw officially from a course.

Any withdrawal or change of course must be processed by an official Add/Drop or Withdrawal Form through the Registrar’s Office. Students may add or drop courses online through the last day to add/drop classes. Financial adjustments, if allowed, will be made only from the date of notification of withdrawal. Students who discontinue class attendance without officially completing the withdrawal procedures will be responsible for the full amount of the applicable tuition and fees.

Auditing Classes

Students who wish to enroll in a course or courses on a non-credit basis are classified as auditor students. Enrolled students are permitted to audit courses, and it is recommended that these students consult their academic advisor before denoting an audit status on a course. In addition, individuals who would like to audit courses for personal enrichment and who are not enrolled in courses for credit should contact the Registrar to complete a brief application form. Designation as an auditor must be made by the beginning of the semester, and this classification is irrevocable following the conclusion of the drop/ add time period. Permission to audit is granted by the instructor. The professor reserves the right to require or restrict an auditor’s participation in class discussions, examinations, laboratory work and other evaluation procedures. Auditors must attend classes according to the professor’s attendance policy for auditors. Auditor students receive a grade of “AUS,” which confers no college credit. Withdrawal from an audited course will be indicated on a student’s transcript by the symbol “AUW.” Those who do not fulfill attendance obligations and have not formally withdrawn from the class will receive an “AUU” on their transcripts.

International students wishing to attend class as audit students must complete the regular admissions procedure for international students.


To initiate the process of applying for graduation, students MUST notify the Registrar’s Office when they register for the term preceding their final term of study. The necessary forms and information will be processed to confirm that graduation requirements are satisfied. Students will be notified of discrepancies and/or acceptance for graduation.